Rahim Yar Khan (RYK) situated on the bank of the River Indus, was built in 1751 A.D. during the Sumra Supremacy in Sindh. Previously known as Noshehra was named Rahim Yar Khan in 1809 by Nawab Muhammad Sadiq Khan after his first son. In 1930, the city was designated as a District Headquarters and in 1942 became an industrial zone and Cotton Centre with the advent of several industrial units and factories all over the town. Two landmark factories of Abbasia Textile Mills and Sadiq Vegetable & Oil Mills (now Unilever) were established in 1950, which added more to the urbanization of the city. This urbanization continued since then and now the city is one of the modern district headquarters in Punjab with decent civic facilities and infrastructure. Geographically located at the tripod of three provinces, Rahim Yar Khan is linked by road, rail and airways with the rest of the country. State of the art international airport of RYK (Shaikh Zayed International Airport) serves as a strategic link of the city with national and international markets. The availability of decent facilities for road travel, rail network and goods transport & logistic network adds the importance of this city in communication. Rahim Yar Khan is strategically located in an area, which is the converging point of three provinces (Punjab, Sindh and Baluchistan) of Pakistan. This geographical location makes this city the centre of not only health & education but for business, trade and agriculture of Southern Punjab, Northern Sindh and Eastern Baluchistan as well. Known as one of the largest producers of cotton and sugarcane, RYK has an agri-based economy with 65% of people living here having agriculture as their core occupation. With the establishment of RYK Industrial Zone and other flagship factories and plants, this city is turning out to be the hub of the industry as well. Leading industrial units of RYK include Unilever, Coca-Cola Beverage, FFC Fertilizers, Fatima Fertilizers, Haleeb Foods, five Sugar Mills (JDW Sugar Mill, Hamza Sugar Mill, Ittihad Sugar Mill, RYK Sugar Mill and Ittefaq Sugar Mill), Ahmad Oriental Textile and Ahmad Fine Textile Mill with dozens of Marble, Cotton Ginning, Flour & Oil Mills and Poultry Feed units. All these very important industries are instrumental in playing a key role not only in the economy of RYK but also contributing significantly to the national economy as well.
Must Visit Places in Rahim Yar Khan
Machki Fort Located 57 km from Rahim Yar Khan, towards east, Machki Fort is a small fortress in Cholistan desert built in 1777 by Lal Khan (Son of Ikhtiar Khan).
Rohi Desert, Pakistan is one of the popular Region located in , Rahim Yar Khan.
Tomb of Dadi Karam Khatoon
The tomb of Dadi Karam Khatoon is situated in the desert of Rahim Yar khan. It is 50 km far from the city area. His father’s name is Laku Fakeer. He belongs to Wakia Fakeer Tribe. Dadi karam khatoon was born in Rajistan(INDIA). She has 5 brothers KHAMRA, JHAOKI, SAMU, BAGU, PHOOL and a sister MAHR. Her husband’s name is GUL SHER. She has 3 sons GHAGU, CHOOR, and MEHANA and a Daughter KABLA. Her tomb is 7 km far from the southern border of INDIA. People come from different places to visit the tomb of Dadi Karam Khatoon. Young people also come there for a picnic.
Mau Mubarak Fort
The fort of Mau Mubarak is located almost 10 kilometres to the north of Rahim Yar Khan city. It’s one of the six upraised forts built in about 498- 632 AD by Raey Sahrus. The fort had minarets up to 50 feet tall which still have some remains at the fort. Just like the Fort of Uch, this was also constructed and filled with soil. There is no authentic detailed information available about the history of the fort. Its current condition calls the attention of the concerned authorities to preserve its crumbling structure which is disappearing bit by bit.
Bhong Mosque (Urdu: بھونگ مسجد) is located in the village of Bhong, Rahim Yar Khan District, Punjab Province, Pakistan. It was designed and constructed over a period of nearly 50 years (1932–1982) and won the Aga Khan Award for Architecture in 1986. The construction of the mosque was under the control of Master Abdul Hameed (Kamboh) who worked to make sure it was exquisite and a landmark for Pakistan. A postage stamp depicting it was issued on May 12, 2004, in Pakistan.
Palace of Sultan of Abu Dhabi
It is built by Sheikh Zayed- Bin-Sultan, ruler of Abu Dhabi. It is situated in the sandy desert of Cholistan at a distance of 18 kilometres southeast of Rahim Yar Khan. It has large and spacious buildings having two separate portions for ladies and gentlemen.
C8F7+3MX, city center khatm-e-Nabuwat chowk, Rahim Yar Khan, 64200.
Built by Raja Rawal in 1665. Muslim Ruler Iftikhar Khan conquered the fort in 1780. Raja Clan used to live here till the Indo-Pak war of 71. The fort was badly damaged by the India army during the 65 and 71 wars. Fort is located just 10 KMs from the Indo-Pak border.
Patan Minara is believed to be a 2,000-year-old Buddhist monastery situated eight kilometres from Rahim Yar Khan city, located in Pakistan. Patan minara was built during the Hakrra valley civilization around 250BC. It was once the capital of a kingdom in 10 AD as mentioned by Colonel Toy.